Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Sometimes you just have to LOL.

Sometimes people make it so easy to make fun of them.  I'm not talking about the mean "make fun of", I am speaking of the calling-people-out-when-they-do-something-dumb/funny/classic "make fun of", which can still be kind of mean if people don't know you (always be aware of your audience and know that if you are taking silliness too far it can end up being bad business).  It is hardly fair to poke fun of anyone if you can't poke fun at yourself; that brings me to a story that I just had to share.

The other day was a friend's birthday.  I told her that I would take her to lunch, but I also wanted to get her a little something more, so we detoured to another store to get her a gift.  She picked out her gift and I was paying at the cashier and right before I slid my card the cashier asks to see my ID.  I looked at this woman like she was an alien, in dead silence for 30+ seconds, she looked right at me and stated, "the back of your card says C.I.D".  Oh my!  I said out loud to her what I was thinking which was: "...how old do you have to be to buy lotion & body spray?" (looking back, I should've kept that in my head).  She laughed SO hard!  I totally had to call myself out on that one!  In my defense, there have been recent local events where young adults have been smoking bath salts, one of the them jumped from the top of a mall parking garage after smoking what is a seemingly harmless item.  Cashiers card now for cold medication because of those cooking up meth in their kitchens, so what next...lotion & body spray?  It all made sense in my head, but hearing myself say it out-loud that day, well...it was pretty damn funny.

I, of course, told everyone back at the office.  My office people are very used to me calling them out on the silly shenanigans they say & do on a daily basis; believe me they have just as much fun doing the same to me. 

When one has quirks that are as exorbitant as mine, it is so important to be able to laugh at oneself.  It is so much better to be laughing together, enjoying each other for every part of our personalities.  Not one of us is perfect, THANK GOD; keeping things light, fun, & relaxed seem like a much happier way to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment