Thursday, April 28, 2011

On Demand Generation

I had my son more than 10 years before most of my friends started having children.  One decade, just one decade is all it took to see a massive difference in parenting.  When my son was a toddler we did not have access to the technology of today.  A phone that is a computer too; that was something from “The Jetsons”, but alas they are here & beneficial to many including myself.

My son watched TV as a toddler; it was not something that I kept from him.  I believe most of the shows on channels such as PBS & Nick Jr., etc. are educational in moderation, but if a show my son wanted to watch wasn’t on when he wanted, he would have to wait; maybe even until the next day.  Today, with the invention of “On Demand” children are able to watch what they want, when they want.  Never having to wait for Arthur to come on or waiting to see Elmo.  They are now at your fingertips.  You may be asking yourselves, what’s wrong with that?  I, on the other hand, am seeing this spill over in to other aspects of these children’s lives & development. 

Waiting to be seated at a restaurant for example; I would pack a diaper bag with the essentials, including a book, a toy, maybe some crayons & a coloring book.  Now, it is so easy to hand a child a Smartphone with an “app” downloaded to keep their child occupied, keeping parental interaction at a minimal. 

Soothing children every time they cry with whatever it takes, be it in the middle of the night by taking them into your own bed or giving them what they were pleading for though undeserving.  I cannot wrap my head around the thought of this having a positive impact on the child or the marriage. Crying is not going to hurt your child.
My son would have tantrums, he was indeed a normal toddler and yes it was hell for me, his dad & my family which we lived with at the time, but we all survived. 

It will be interesting as these children grow up, to see the directions that they head.  Maybe I am wrong and it will all turn out O.K.; however, I have my doubts.  I will always believe in teaching your child patience and having parental interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment