Monday, November 11, 2013

Mindfulness

“The present moment is filled with joy and happiness. If you are attentive, you will see it.” Thích Nhất Hạnh

Recently, I picked up a Women's Health magazine in which I found a fascinating article linking mind and body.  We all, of course, know that our minds and bodies are heavily linked; how one treats ones body affects ones mind and vice-versa, obviously not news to us.

This article jumped out at me because I found it so on target with things that have been going currently in my mind and being. The author wrote about "mindfulness". According to the article,  "Mindfulness is a full awareness of precisely what is happening in the present."

Many of us find ourselves in a burned-out, stressed and anxious state, always worrying about the past or what is going to happen if; to be still and and to clear the chatter going on in ones head.  Sounds much easier then it is, at least for me.  Mindfulness means NO OVER-ANALYZING and NO OVER-THINKING; letting what will be, be and letting your thoughts flow fluidly with out picking them apart. 

How much time have we all wasted only to be let down when one's plans don't come into fruition? We cannot constantly be worrying about what the future will hold and feeling let down when "it" doesn't happen the way we planned "it"; if we live in the present chances are we will not miss our kids growing up and all the wonderful things that are happening around us right now.   

I was recently laid off.  I am scared, but I have to look at the possibilities of what I can do with this crappy hand that I was recently dealt.  I am determined to get myself back to school and graduate with Bachelors degree; before I read this article I was thinking of putting this huge step off until I found a job.  In my head, I needed the financial stability to get started, but after speaking with many recruiters and after reading this article I was reminded that there is not a whole lot that we can control about our futures.  I may be out of work for some time and thus putting off my dreams even longer.  I can't let this opportunity slip through my fingers worrying about the bill after I graduate when I haven't even taken a class yet. 

Can I be mindful enough take that leap-of-faith and live in the present?  Things will work out if and only if I apply myself now.  I know that I am setting myself up for a much brighter future whatever it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment