Saturday, December 7, 2013

Love Thy Neighbor

"Treat Others the Way YOU Want to be Treated"

I was in high school when Nelson Mandela was released from prison.  Apartheid. Segregation; these are words from another era.  An era that we hear our grandparents and parents speak of.  It's not supposed to be something that I remember seeing on the news, but it is.  Mandela, being such a peaceful man, held no animosity for those who imprisoned him, only love.  

He is quoted as saying that “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”  

People must learn to hate?  That is sickening, but as we all know there are still people who are teaching this by their actions.  I am so thankful that I didn't grow up with that hatred and I am proud to say that my son does not have that hatred.  In fact, I made sure that he grew up in a house where accepting people was the only option.  Everyone was welcome in my home, unless there was an extenuating circumstance (e.g. being a brat) proving otherwise.  Another public issue that Mandela wasn't afraid to address was AIDS, he was personally affected by the epidemic when his son passed away from the disease, this was a man who knew that he wasn't above the issues, but made sure that education and awareness were abundant to those willing to listen and learn.

I also just had a similar conversation with my brother after seeing Dallas Buyers Club over Thanksgiving weekend.  WOW, what a movie.  Outstanding performances!!  Everyone should go out and see this movie.  

After the movie my brother, who is 8 years older than I, were discussing AIDS in the 1980's.  He obviously remembers way more about the emerging of this disease into society then I do.  The first time I remember hearing/seeing the word AIDS was when I was standing in line at the ACME supermarket and on a People Magazine was a headline about Rock Hudson dying.  I asked my mom, who I was with at the time, who Rock Hudson was and what was AIDS?  A normal question for a 10 year old.  I don't remember what my mom's explanation was.  I am honestly not sure if she or anyone who wasn't in "medicine" knew for sure what it was.  I do know that it was essentially considered a death sentence in the 80's; then in 1991 Magic Johnson announced that he was HIV positive.  He has lived for two decades with the disease and is an advocate through The Magic Johnson Foundation, educating people each and everyday, because although HIV can be controlled with medication and a healthy lifestyle, it is important to enlighten people about how important prevention and early detection can be.

In Dallas Buyers Club, one gets a taste of what it was like for gays in the 1980's.  I cannot believe there was a time when people shunned homosexuals with such hatred simply because of who they decided to love or people in general because they didn't have the same skin color.  

I, myself, have so many different types of friends that I can't fathom anyone treating them with anything but respect.  I know not everyone shares that view, my eyes are not covered with rose-colored glasses, but I am so glad that I live in a time where it is becoming more acceptable to be who you are and love who you want.  





No comments:

Post a Comment