Monday, December 2, 2013

Feeling Like a Rockstar


  • Sarah, In the time that I have known you, you have been one of the brightest people I've had the pleasure of meeting. Your can-do attitude, bubbly personality, and ability to care of others even when you need taking care of yourself is what sets you apart in this world. Although I've known you for only a year or so, I idolize you. You have taken care of your son alone, and he has grown up to be an amazing young man. You started the Bee's Knees, which has raised thousands of dollars to help people with Myeloma. You have kept a positive attitude whenever working late nights at D-- or all day on the weekends, which is hard to do when you're bouncing from one job to the next. Although you may not see it, these, and many more, are the things that will allow you to succeed. I know four years is a big commitment, but there will always be people here supporting you, and we can get through this together! I know you said people have been saying "when one door closes, god opens a window," but I think a better saying would be "when God closes one door, He opens a gate." Windows are small and hard to get through (and no one really wants to go through them), but gates open wide, and after you get through college, I know your gate will be fully open, allowing you to take on opportunities you never imagined possible. I am so proud of you, and I truly believe that people who persist, have a passion, and stay humble and compassionate are the ones who get the farthest in life. I have no doubt in my mind that you will succeed in college and beyond!

I received this email in response to a blog that I wrote regarding my decision to go back to school after 17 years.  It was written by one the young ladies that I work with at my part-time job.  

I keep going back to this message not only because I miss the heck out of all of my kids who are away right now, but because I cannot believe that she is writing about me. The first time I read it my eyes filled, I could hardly get through the message because I was so choked up.

This young woman goes to school in up-state NY, she is brilliant, and has such a bright future ahead of her and lets not forget she's completely adorable!! How could someone who I admire so much for being young in this effed-up world that we live in idolize me?!?  

I can admit this is the biggest compliment a person can receive.  It must be what rock stars feels when the audience is singing back to them or wants their autograph or a quick picture with them.  Yes, that is how amazing I felt, no exaggeration.  If we live our lives inspiring just one person in it, haven't we done our jobs?  Inspiring a girl, a teenage girl is an extraordinary feat.  Remember back to when you were a teenager?  

I know that I brag all the time about my friends and how awesome and supportive they are (because it's true!); to know that I have the support of people who are currently in college and learning who they are themselves makes me want this even more.  I am inspiring people who inspire me!!  It's like a warm hug.

I haven't taken my role in these young men and women's lives lightly; each have a significant place in my heart.  Remember when you first read that quote which states that people are placed into your life for a reason, a season or a life-time? I thoroughly believe that this is true.  I only get to work with these young people for a short time because well, my part-time job is a temporary stop on their life's journey, but the wealth, knowledge and support that I attain from them makes my job fulfilling.


“Life is a bowl of cherries. Some cherries are rotten while others are good; its your job to throw out the rotten ones and forget about them while you enjoy eating the ones that are good! There are two kinds of people: those who choose to throw out the good cherries and wallow in all the rotten ones, and those who choose to throw out all the rotten ones and savor all the good ones.” 
― C. JoyBell C.



No comments:

Post a Comment