Wednesday, August 24, 2011

shaken not stirred

Earthquakes.  I can only remember feeling a couple in my life; they are just not something that happens in the Northeast too often, so today at work while I was sitting at my desk and my chair started to move, I thought that it was one of my co-workers messing around with me and shaking my chair.  I turned around ready to elbow him in the hip and he wasn't there.  Well, then what the heck was going on?  My desk was shaking along with my computer monitor.  My boss, yells out from his office, "Does anyone else feel that shaking?"  He must've thought that he was going crazy too.  It turned out to be an earthquake originating from Virginia that was recorded as 5.8 in the Richter Scale, it went right up through the Eastern coast to New York.  Truth be told...I thought it was pretty cool, but that was the topping on the drama cake that I call, August 2011.

This month started started out with some weird news, but nothing that I couldn't handle.  No big deal. I was even offer a job that I had applied for as supplemental income.  Nice!  Enter food poisoning...I got extremely sick; should have been hospitalized type of sick, but my orientation for the 2nd job was in 24 hours and I had to go if I wanted the job.  The whole time all I could think of was: what if I pass out, vomit or worse (I think you know where I'm headed with "worse")?  I made it without incident, but was laid up for several more days.
 
Early morning, August 19th, Bryan & I had an unexpected & unwanted visitor.  Around 12:30 a.m. I hear a scream ("MOM!!!!!!") that I really have only heard in a horror movie and certainly NEVER from MY son.  I shot up out of bed and replied; that is when he let me know that there was a bat in the apartment.  My first reaction...I pulled the covers over my head.  I saw this thing flying back-and-forth though my itty bitty attic style home.  Holy crap.  Bryan took the dog and hid in our bathroom and I shut the door and found a safe haven in mine, that is until I hear my son yelling "Mom, he's coming for you!", then I see this creature crawling through the crack under my door.  I screamed.  I screamed loudly, ran out, and trapped the bat in my room with a towel blocking the crack.  My immediate reaction at that point was to call the police, I was not sure what they were going to do, but I needed help and it was now after 1 a.m., when the police showed up they gave me a couple of numbers for animal control and wildlife rescue; obviously they weren't picking up.  The policeman kindly offered to help catch the bat and set him free, so we came up with a plan.  I handed him a sheet and I blocked the door with another, there was no way this bat was getting past US!!  We tried to put our plan into action, but there was no bat.  Bryan and the policeman looked high and low and it had disappeared.  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?  The police left.  UGGGGGHHH.  How am I supposed to sleep with a bat potentially hiding in my apartment?  Bryan, all the while donning his Batman shirt, said "Do you hear that?"  I didn't hear anything, but he did.  He took off his sneakers, climbed on my bed the took an antique piece of pottery down and went outside.  The bat had found a comfy place inside my kettle.  My son, the bat whisperer, saved the day.
I may or may not be suffering a bit from PTSD.  I am better now, but the next couple of days were a little brutal. 

What does the rest of August hold? This Saturday Bryan will be taking his driver test.  Now, this is a huge thing in the life of a 16 year old.  The only thing I dread is that lately everything Bryan touchs seem to break.  He sits on our fence, breaks it, tries to dry is clothes in the dryer, breaks it.  Needless to say, I am not really hyped for him to be driving my car.  It may be a piece of crap car to most, but it is all that I have for this moment.

So, August, this year you have been less then well behaved and I am glad that it will be a another 11 months until I am exposed to you again, but with all these tiny (in the grand scheme of things) mishaps, life goes on.  August, you have provided me with stories to tell!  I have learned and experienced; while things in my life may be shaken up every once and a while, I will not be stirred into a negative place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment