Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Laundry Mat

Last week, the day after I did my laundry, Bryan did his.  He went to put his clothes in the dryer and it doesn't work.  I blamed Bryan, he blamed me; either way it doesn't work.  When I went to do my laundry this past weekend, I had remembered that the darn dryer was broken.  CRAP!!

Enter my Laundry Mat Adventurrrrrrrrre (said like Pigs In Space from The Muppets!).  I arrive at the laundry mat with my wet clothes & look around for a dryer; while this may seem easy, I haven't been in a laundry mat for years and don't readily know the schematics for said mat.  I find two machines and am well on my way to dry clothes.  I am rockin & rolling now.  Wow, this was going to be a long wait.
As, I am sitting there thinking I should may be grab a drink from the bar at the other end of the strip mall, but then realize that I look disgusting.  Well, there goes that idea.  The other people in the laundry mat were not people I would normally hang out with.  I have my ear buds in, listening to my music, looking around at these people that I have nothing in common with.  It was then that it occurred to me what a snob I was being.
I had everything in common with the patrons of the laundry mat that day.  I was there among the regulars doing my laundry because I don't have a dryer.  I was essentially on their turf, invading their territory thinking I was better.  I am absolutely no better then these people; just because we may not have the same language or color skin, doesn't mean that I am any better.  I felt like a complete jerk.

I believe that sometimes God puts people in certain situations to humble them.  I was absolutely humbled; totally realizing we are all just humans, humans who want the same things in life, whether it be making sure our children do well in school,  providing for our families so that food is on the table, or having clean, dry clothes.

Until I can get my dryer fixed, I will be spending more time with the patrons of this laundry mat. 

1 comment:

  1. While I agree 100% about the humble part, I still hate the laundry mat.

    ReplyDelete