Friday, September 30, 2011

busy! please try again later. thanks.

Definition of Busy: adjective,
1. occupied by some activity; at work; not idle
2. full of activity, characterized by much action or motion

The last couple of weeks have been filled with busyness, emotion & a severe lack of time.  My head has been everywhere and no where.  I should be used to this feeling because this has been the typical month of September since Bryan started to walk.  It seems that no matter how much I prepare for it, the month of September NEVER gets to be any easier.

When Bryan was smaller it was filled with birthday party planning and soccer.  Bryan's love for soccer grew to a passion and fall became the time of year for multiple practices a week & all weekend, every weekend games.  Bryan's dad, being a life long soccer player himself, coached every one of Bryan's teams; both were like fish in water.  Enter, the rest of the September fun.

As Bryan got older there came more 'things' to add to our already busy weekly schedule.  Back to School nights, class mom duties, homework, dinner-time (which was always a little piece of hell in my house)...oh yea, working full time and keeping a house.  Let's not forget the little things that drive us all crazy at the beginning of the school year, just picture day can get one frazzled; "I'd like you wear this..." and then the fight erupts.  Every single mom was going through the same thing; why did they seem so much more graceful?  Why did they seem to have everything under control?  Husbands; that was the difference between those moms & myself.  The women who seemed to have it all together had a partner.  Dan was & is my partner in raising Bryan, but we didn't always have the solidarity that we have now; so, yea, I was missing the one factor that I envied in every other graceful, put-together mom.  Help.

These weeks have felt the same, yet completely different then every other year.  It feels the same because we are just was busy as every other September sans soccer; different because at Back to School night my ex-husband and I spoke to Bryan's counselor about the college process.  This was our final Back to School night; a night that I always looked at as an inconvenience is now a part of our history.
Bryan also has passed his driver's license test.  Surprisingly I am not nervous, he has had his permit for nearly a year and has had more then enough time on the road.  Hopefully, he'll stay smart.

The 2nd job is a whole other story.  I am exhausted & working two jobs is taking valuable time away from my YMCA people who I miss tons.  You don't know what a stress reliever the gym is until you can't get there.  Those people hold my sanity in the palms of their hands. 

All these new shenanigans are stressful and yes, time consuming, but this time Dan and I are aligned in the parenting department, so I don't feel as hopelessly sloppy as I did years ago.  YaY me!!

Will Septembers ever get easier?  Sure.  Bryan will eventually graduate from college.  It is then that I will miss the chaos of school nights and the craziness that it invites into everyone's household.  Here's to another four years of living life for my kid and doing the only job I was truly born to do; being Bryan's (not-so) graceful mom and doing it with a smile on my face and a glass of wine in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment