Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shedding our shells

Something you may not know about yours truly is that I have a minor obsession with cicadas.  I think they are so interesting.  Ugly and interesting.

The thing that I associate with cicadas with is the heat.  In Pennsylvania, cicadas typically come out in late July & early August and only stay around for a about 4 or 5 weeks.  By "come out" I am referring to the surface, to the the top of the soil.  Cicadas spend years growing and feeding on tree and shrub roots before they surface and make their presence.  We all know when they have arrived by their sound!!

Cicadas like the heat and do most of their singing during the hottest parts of the day.  Only the males have the ability to make this familiar noise.  Their sound is often hypnotic and peaceful.
Many different cultures share this same fascination with this awkward looking creature.  Some look at the cicada as a symbol of reincarnation and fertilization. They shed their skin in the growing process; this is looked at as a sort of reaching enlightening and the growth we do ourselves as humans.

You have to admit they have a coolness about them.  They have remained in existence for thousands of years and with little thought from us in the modern United States.  Every year we take these silly looking things for granted while they nourish families in poverty ridden countries.

I first took an interest in cicadas a few years back when it my generations turn for the 17 year cicada.  WOW!  I am dork, but yes it's true.  There was a much bigger turn out in older neighborhood & developments especially up in Northern Pennsylvania. The 17 year cicada frenzy didn't live up to all the hype.  I don't know what I was hoping for, but I was a little let down.  So now, I look forward to the couple of cicadas that I do see and think of the journey that they have taken (sometimes from as far as 9 ft. underground).

After all, life is about the journey, developing & changing...shedding our shells. 

1 comment:

  1. go to Angies house, they are digging up her back neighbors property and thee are TONS of EM!

    ReplyDelete