Saturday, July 9, 2011

YOU were her BIGGEST NIGHTMARE.

I know as I start to write this post that it is going to be controversial.  I'll take my chances; after all, I started this blog to write my ideas & opinions.  My opinion is just that, my opinion & no one has to agree with me; but as most people know, I am not one to just sit back with my mouth shut.  With that said...

I am saddened.  I am saddened by the death of Caylee Anthony; this beautiful little person is now at rest, but hardly at peace.  Any mother who has an ounce of love for their child has to wonder what this woman was thinking.  I could never raised a hand to my son without the feeling of guilt that lasted for days.  I think I slapped Bryan twice in his short life, after that, all I had to say was, "Do I have to come over there?"  Yes, I just admitted that I slapped my son.  I'll be looking for the lynch mob. 
Murder.  Taking someone one life.  Your own toddler.  Did you take the time to potty train her?  Did you help her learn her ABC's?  Did you kiss her good night, tell her to have sweet dreams when YOU were her biggest nightmare? 

Unfortunately, these thoughts don't play, or shouldn't play into a jury's mind when deciding a person's fate.  I should know.  In February of 2007, I sat as juror #10 on a murder trial.  It was one of the hardest experiences that I can remember.  We had 12 jurors and 2 or three alternates.  We spent everyday, all day together.  We only spoke to each other, but never about the trial, that is only allowed during deliberation, so we got to know each other; we had nothing else to do when we weren't in the court room.  We all had steno notepads which were destroyed after the trial, but with so many witnesses testifying there was no other way to remember.  The notebook was full of facts, not emotion.  I didn't write down how a witness made me feel.  I felt though, believe me, I felt.  Emotions are not what the trial is about.  Was there enough evidence?  Did they have enough proof?  Could there be any doubt?  These are the questions that are discussed during deliberation.

I have seen countless comments via the newspaper or Facebook statuses regarding the jury members of the Casey Anthony trial.  One of the first things that I said to myself at the start of her trial was, I'm glad I'm not on that jury;  knowing how it feels to be in their position, but these peers received national coverage.  Something I knew wasn't going to be easy.  Do you know how it feels to be in their position?  Anyone who has blamed or commented on the jurors, have you EVER sat as a juror on a murder trial?  Like everyone else you are under oath.  Sworn to make your decisions based on the evidence.  If there isn't enough evidence, then there is reasonable doubt.  I am sure that these people weren't willing to risk perjury, not seeing their families because they were serving time to put this crazy woman in jail.  Would you risk your family because it is what everyone thinks you should do?  Because you let your emotions in?  Because you lied under oath?
Yes.  She lied under oath as well, but as a juror I would not be willing to risk everything for a liar.


I believe that Casey Anthony will be in a living hell for the rest of her free existence.  Everything she does is undeserving from here on in.  She should not be allowed to go grocery shopping, watch T.V. or pick up dog poo in my opinion, but she has that option because she was found not guilty by a jury of her peers who didn't have enough evidence to convict her of murder.
My only question now is when she meets God and her baby is sitting next to him, how will she be judged?

No comments:

Post a Comment