Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Reading is Sexy!

 I love reading!  Maybe not as much as some people who always have their nose in a book, but I really enjoy the time that I get whisked away by a good read.
I also love a reader!  In my humble opinion, reading is like attractive accessory.  Hell, reading is down right SEXY! 

My favorite books are usually historical, mostly in and around the Tudor period, but I also have a darkness to me, so books set in Medieval Europe are alluring.  I just can't get enough: I want to swallow all the images in my mind, all the facts, all the characters.  I need to absorb it all!!  Except in the summer...the summer is when I pick up what I call "fluff".  I think EVERYONE should read & like what they are reading.  If you love reading something that I consider "fluff", I admire you for just picking the book up, because I love it too.  Fluff is what I consider an easy read.  Light & Fluffy.  I don't know about you, but in the summer I like to sit on the beach and read, or try to, because usually I am people watching or eaves dropping on the families next me (creeper, I know, but we are all guilty); with these VERY important tasked I involve myself in, how am I supposed to put my undivided attention into anything that needs undivided attention?  It helps in the summer, to keep the reading light. 

Recently, I won a book.  I selected it from other prizes because a friend had told me about it months ago.  I still had the post-it on my work desk, just so I wouldn't forget to check it out on Amazon.  I forgot, until I saw it as a potential prize.   I am sure many of you have heard of it.  It is now a best-seller.  The book that I won is called, The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  This book is something that I would normally consider "fluff", boy was I absolutely wrong.  This book, this amazing book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in 1963.  It is a book with beautiful, richly written, lovable & loath-able characters & a glorious storyline.  Why, oh why did I wait until the summer to read this?  Yes, it was an easy read, but the depths that Ms. Stockett reached was unparalleled for a novel of this nature.  I didn't want it to be over.  I even read the acknowledgements.  If you haven't read this book.  It is a MUST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment