Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Invisible kindness

It was the end of April when the co-owners of the company called an "all employee" meeting.  All morning I walked around with anxiety thinking about what this meeting was going to be about.  I don't even remember the last time that we had an "all employee" meeting.
My company consists of 15 people.  Fifteen people who have worked side-by-side for years; some since the start of the company in 2002. 
At the meeting, the bosses told us that because business was so slow they would be cutting our hours back to 32 hours; this would be instead of laying off 4 people.  No one wants to see anyone leave, so we were all on board.  It would be like losing a family member.  We were told this would be for the whole month of May and that they would revisit the situation in June.
It is now the middle of May; just two weeks into the dreaded month & things are tight.  Plans are being cancelled, by not just me, but everyone.  Tears are flowing and the office is silent.  Today, I went in to ask, realistically was June looking any better.  My answer was what I suspected, but not what I wanted to hear.  Tears.
This just sucks is all I can say.  People have it so much worse then I do, so how am I going to complain?  Everyone is just bummed out, but when I came out of work today there was something shoved into the drivers side window.  I pulled it out and it was $5.00.  Just $5.00, but that bill put a smile on my face.  First of all, I thought well that's weird.  Who does something like that?  Then, I felt guilty.  Well, what if the person thought I had lost it? Then, I thought someone, somewhere is looking out for me.  Five dollars, not much money on a grand scale, but I was on my last roll of toilet paper.
Thank you to the kind stranger.  When I can, I will pay-it-forward.  I pinky swear.

No comments:

Post a Comment