Saturday, May 21, 2011

We should live everyday like we want to get into Heaven

Today, May 21st, the day Harold Camping, a preacher from the south predicted it would be the end of the world.  I, didn't buy it for a second, but this prediction has received world wide attention.  I treated today just like every other Saturday.
After more then a week of rain, the sun was shining brightly today.  I took the dog for a long walk, watched a little bit of TV and got ready for mass at 5 pm.  At mass is where Father sarcastically joked about "the end of the world" and maybe that is why church was so packed and that it was happening in just 40 minutes, so he better keep his homily short; then he ask, if it is was the last day what would we do differently?  He then went on to say that we shouldn't be doing anything different.  A perfect example of why we should live everyday like we want to get into heaven.
This "end of the world" prediction was not correct.  As a Catholic Christians we believe that only God knows when Jesus will return to Earth, but it did make me reflect on how I have been living and would I be chosen to live with Him in Heaven.  So many people asked me this week why is our God so judgmental; I don't believe he is.  I believe He will look back at our lives our whole life, good and bad; I believe that if we are truly sorry for the bad, then He will forgive us and we will be able to enter the Kingdom.
Living a good life is hard, having a positive outlook, looking at the good in ALL people and forgiving are ALL hard things to do.  Jesus didn't promise loving him would be easy, but well worth it.
Now, I am not a holy roller.  I go to church on a weekly basis, because it feels good for me.  I don't try to convert people or quote scripture passages, but I do try to be as good as a person as I can, just so I can look at my face in the mirror every morning.  So far, so good.

1 comment:

  1. Some very good points. I try to be a good person, because I have to live with myself. If it helps me get into heaven too, well, that's a bonus.

    ReplyDelete