Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Bee's Knees Fundraiser = Success!!

The generosity of people amaze me.  All it took was one person to ask if The Bee's Knees could be their local charity and the process was in motion.

The Bee's Knees is the team that I started for The Miles for Myeloma 5k walk/run. We have been warriors for Multiple Myeloma since 2010.   That year we didn't make our goal.  We only had about 10 walkers.  It was only the 2nd year of The Miles for Myeloma 5k in Philadelphia, so I kept telling myself that it wasn't too shabby for my first year.  This year my personal goal was to hit the goal that I set for the team and to double the number of walks/runners that I had had in 2010.  I met my goal with the help of the most generous people.  Friends were posting on facebook and forwarding numerous emails to all of their friends.  I couldn't have done it without all of their help.

This past weekend an event for The Bee's Knees was held at a local bar.  During my fundraising for the 5k this year, I had received an email from a stranger.  A friend-of-a-friend.  This stranger told me that he was throwing an event and was looking for a local charity to donate the proceeds to.  He asked if The Bee's Knees could be that charity.  All of the money collected though The Bee's Knees goes to The Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation, a charity that is so close to my heart.  My dad being diagnosed over 2 1/2 years ago with debilitating disease, so of course I had jumped at the opportunity.
This man put on a hip-hop show; complete with raffles, and strippers collecting money for donations bee's, body artists & an artist creating designs in clients hair.  Not something I would immediately think of at all, but the creativity behind it all was truly inspirational and overwhelming.

It turned out to be a fabulous night thanks to this not-so-much a stranger anymore.  He is a good guy who says that he is not done being a warrior for The Bee's Knees.  He says we haven't heard the last from him!!  I say...Thank God!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment