Friday, June 17, 2011

Strength in Weakness

Lots of people have described me a s being a strong person.  How could I have gotten through everything that my young life has thrown at me if I weren't, right?  Yea, I am strong!  I used to think it was a bunch of malarkey (I never was really great at accepting compliments), but now I know...I am strong.   
The past couple of months have been a little treacherous.  Rationally, I know things could be a lot worse.  I mean A LOT worse, but sometimes the strength put forth on a daily basis is eroded by bits of tiny snip-its of news.
When one reaches their breaking point people handle themselves in a myriad of different ways.  Recently, my strength fell.  I felt it falling, I saw it falling and I knew I had to catch it.  I decided the best thing to do at the moment was let myself feel.  Feel sad.  Wallow in my melancholy.  Lament.  So I did exactly that, for the next two days I let myself feel.  My friends know that when I get into these "funks" I essentially fall off the face of the earth.  I am unreachable.  They know how I do and they let me. I love my friends.

Anyway, when I went looking for my strength I found it.  It was right here.  I picked it up and knew that I was done being sad.  Granted, the situations in my life right now haven't changed & won't anytime soon, and I will deal with that, but to decompress every once and a while to keep your sanity is OK.  There is nothing weak about letting down your guard, finding strength in weakness and grow as a person.

I have so much gratitude for every breath that I take, for every face that makes or has made me smile or cry.  I have a past & it's not all sunshine, rainbows & flowers, but I am here because I am strong and that means that I also have a future!

No comments:

Post a Comment